What do governors do?
As governors, we:
- Set the Academy’s strategic direction: its mission, ethos, overall aims and objectives
- Monitor and evaluate the Academy’s performance, particularly in public examinations
- Support and challenge the Principal and his staff to improve performance
- Are accountable to our sponsors, parents and the community for the standard of education and care which the Academy provides to all our students
Our role is strategic; we do not get involved in the day to day running of the school which is the responsibility of Mr Sutton and his staff.
The kinds of issues we deal with
- Analysis of strengths and weaknesses in examination performance
- The school’s plans for improvement
- Month by month analysis of behaviour and attendance statistics
- Approval of policies such as on safeguarding and admissions
- Decision-making on staff pay increases
- Approval of the school’s annual budget
- Approval of the school's annual report and financial statements
We are also required to sit on panels that hear formal complaints and decide on permanent exclusions.
The full Governing Body meets 5-6 times a year. It has a number of committees each of which also meets at least termly:
- Finance, Personnel and Premises – Chair: Mark Boult
- Student and Community – Chair: Jacqui Miller
- Teaching and Learning – Chair: Joye Manyan
- Audit – Chair: David Sewell
One or more governors will try to attend most parents’ evenings, when they welcome any feedback - positive or not so positive - from parents.
At any time, parents (and staff) may raise general issues with governors. Issues pertaining to individual students are for the school to resolve. Issues that are within our remit include, for example, any general concerns a parent or parents may have about bullying if they consider that the school has not responded satisfactorily to previously raised concerns.
You may raise any issues with the Governing Body by sending an email or letter to the Chair of the Governing Body, Hugh Reynolds. Alternatively, you may approach one of the current parent governors, Jasmyn Ross.
In either case, please contact Clerk to the Governors, Viv Oxley, on 020 8609 0175 or email email@example.com.