STEM at GCA
Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths - it's increasingly the case that people do not need STEM spelling out.
STEM education is vital to our future. Also, STEM is everywhere; it shapes our everyday experiences. STEM professionals help solve the complex problems of today’s world and its future. They are working to find solutions for global warming, cancer, third world hunger, disappearing habitats, and an interdependent world economy. Yesterday’s stereotype of the ‘geek’ in a lab coat is not representative of today’s STEM teams, where economists work with researchers on technical transfer and engineers build state-of-the-art equipment for businesses working with cutting-edge technologies. STEM careers are both challenging and fun - people in them enjoy going to work every day.
As a result of participation in the many curricular and extra-curricular STEM activities we offer, students of all ages have the opportunity to learn and apply new skills related to STEM careers and to understand the need to succeed in a variety of subjects as their career pathways develop. These skills include:
- Working to tight deadlines
- Problem-solving, goal-setting and strategy
- Project management
- Teamwork in a work-related setting
- The ability to write and present accurate, concise and convincing reports about the work completed
- The ability to critically assess the performance of solutions and carry out modifications to improve performance