SpanishBack to Key Information
Edexcel Advanced GCE in Spanish
The content of this course builds on the understanding developed at Key Stage 4 (GCSE) and gives students the opportunity to learn and apply important transferable skills in critical thinking and analysis, enabling them to make a smooth transition to the next level of study in the four language skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
There will be a range of opportunities open to you when you finish the course. Some students choose to do degree courses in languages; others choose to pursue a higher education course in another subject, but may choose a language option alongside it. We live in an increasingly global community and language skills are highly sought-after in the workplace.
Having a language at A Level will certainly improve your employability, in particular with companies which have international branches. Employers know that linguists have excellent communication skills and can rely on them to transfer those skills easily. There is also of course much personal pleasure to be gained through the travel, understanding of other cultures and places, and opening of your mind to the world which all come with the further study of languages.
Aims of the course
To enable students to:
- enhance their linguistic skills and promote and develop a capacity for critical thinking on the basis of their knowledge and understanding of the language, culture and society of the countries where the language is spoken
- develop control of the language system to convey meaning, using spoken and written skills, including an extended range of vocabulary, for both practical and intellectual purposes as increasingly confident, accurate and independent users of the language
- develop their ability to interact effectively with users of the language in speech and in writing, including through online media
- develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
- engage critically with intellectually stimulating texts, films and other materials in the original language, developing an appreciation of sophisticated and creative uses of the language and understanding them within their cultural and social context
- develop knowledge about matters central to the society and culture, past and present, of the country or countries where the language is spoken
- mediate between cultures and between speakers of the language and speakers of English
- foster their ability to learn other languages
- equip themselves with transferable skills such as autonomy, resourcefulness, creativity, critical thinking, and linguistic, cultural and cognitive flexibility that will enable them to proceed to further study or employment
- develop their capacity for critical and analytical thinking through the language of study
- develop as independent researchers through the language of study
There are three final assessments:
Paper 1: Listening, reading and translation (9SP0/01) 40%
Paper 2: Written response to works and translation (9SP0/02) 30%
Paper 3: Speaking (9SP0/03) 30%
Themes and sub-themes
Papers 1 and 3 will be based on content from the following four themes.
Theme 1: Developments in Spanish society: Nature and environment; Education; the world of work
Theme 1 is set in the context of Spain only. This theme covers social issues and trends.
Theme 2: Political and artistic culture in Spanish speaking countries: Music; media; the role of traditions and festivals
Theme 2 is set in the context of Spanish-speaking countries and communities
Theme 3: Immigration and the Spanish multi-cultural society: Positive effects of immigration; the challenges of immigration and integration; State and social reactions to immigration
Theme 3 is set in the context of Spain only. This theme covers social issues and trends.
Theme 4: Franco’s dictatorship and the transition to democracy: The Spanish Civil War, Franco’s dictatorship, division of Spanish society and the later transition to a democracy.
Theme 4 is set in the context of Spain only. This theme covers political culture.